Home arrow Home arrow Emergency Travel Certificate
Emergency Travel Certificate PDF Print
Emergency Travel Certificate (ETC) is issued to Nigerians whose passports have expired or who legitimately lose their passports while abroad on visits and resident Nigerians abroad, to enable them return to Nigeria. It can also be issued to new born babies of Nigerian origin born abroad but requiring a document to return to Nigeria. ETC is usually issued for a one-way journey to Nigeria only and must be surrendered to the Immigration authorities at the port of entry. Please note that this document cannot serve as a substitute to an e-passport. An ETC cannot be issued to Nigerians with an expired residence permit wishing to return to Nigeria nor can it be used to travel to another country other than Nigeria.
  • Written official request for Emergency Travel Certificate (Send via email: This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ). The official request should include the reason why the ETC is needed, the final destination and your state of origin.
  • Hungarian Police Report about the loss of e-passport (where applicable)
  • Birth Certificate in the case of a new born baby
  • Confirmed Air ticket
  • Nigerian e-Passport
  • Letter of Consent from Father (applicable to mother's travelling with babies and children)
  • One passport photograph
  • Evidence of payment of Service Charge and Administrative Charge See information on Consular fee payment


Service Charge is $100 (Individual) and Administrative Charge (Individual) is $30.  Government Offices (e.g Hungarian Immigration, IOM) are exempt from the fees.
Account for Payment of Service Charge:

Bank: MKB Bank Nyrt

Account No: 10300002-50100020-71034014

IBAN Account No: HU65103000025010002071034014

Account Name: Embassy of Nigeria

Address: Vaci utca 38, 1056 Budapest


Account for Payment of Administrative Charge and Express Fee:
Account Name: Embassy of Nigeria, Budapest
Account Number: 10300002-50100020-40120108
IBAN Account No: HU3310300002-50100020-40120108
Bank: MKB Bank Nyrt
Payments are made in two ways:  
  • Deposit relevant service charge and administrative charge by visiting any MKB Bank. The applicant submits the deposit slip from MKB Bank as evidence of payment.
  • Transfer relevant  service charge and administrative fee via online banking, and submit copy of e-receipt. The Finance Attaché confirms receipt of funds.

Please note the following when paying the consular fee:

A commission/transfer fee will be charged by the Bank when depositing or transferring the consular fee. Please ensure the total amount on the MKB deposit slip has the exact amount of the consular service needed.
All consular fees paid via bank transfer can only be acknowledged after the Finance Section has confirmed receipt of the transfer. 
Provide payment details when making payment. Include the type of consular service you are paying and this appears in the remark column of the deposit slip.
Submit the original MKB Bank slip or evidence of  the bank transfer when submitting your documents.
Processing Period:
Please note that the processing of request for consular services takes up to ten (10) working days.  However, express services are available, with an extra charge of US$50.