note that Nigerian Immigration Passport rules requires every Nigerian to be
physically present when applying for a new e-passport. It is not possible to
use a scanned copy of your previous passport to obtain a new e-passport or apply in proxy.
ISSUANCE OF E-PASSPORTS
The Nigerian Embassy in Budapest, Hungary is currently not equipped to issue e-passports. Nigerians wishing to apply for a new e-passport or replace a lost e-passport are referred to several Nigerian Embassies located in Europe as listed below:
Embassies currently issuing e-passports in Europe
Embassy, Vienna, Austria
Embassy, The Hague, Netherlands
Embassy, Rome, Italy
HOW TO OBTAIN A NEW E-PASSPORT(re-issue)
Nigerians currently in possession of e-passports due to expire can apply for re-issuance of the e-passport by contacting either the Nigerian Embassy in Vienna, Rome, Madrid or the Hague. The
Nigerian Embassy in Hungary
is not equipped to re-issue e-passports.
After getting the relevant information from the Embassy, you will be required to apply for the new passport and make payment online through the Nigerian Immigration website: https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/epassport. Applicants for the e-passports are advised to read through the e-passport application guidelines before
applying to avoid any delays or rejection of their passport application. You are
to make payment online in US Dollars using your Bank card and indicate
the country which will issue the e-passport. For example, if you are
applying to the Nigerian Embassy in Vienna, you should indicate Vienna, Austria as the issuing country when filling the form online. Please note that
the Embassy processing your passport request will also charge an administrative fee. Tha price varies from Embassy to Embassy. Please contact the issuing Embassy for the relevant administative fees.
letter of introduction will be issued by the Ngerian Embassy in
Budapest to assist you obtain the new e- passport. The original copy of this letter should be presented to directly
Nigerian Embassy where you are applying for the e-passport.
APPLYING FOR A LETTER OF INTRODUCTION FOR E- PASSPORT RENEWAL
The Nigerian Embassy in
Budapest issues a Letter of Introduction to any Nigerian national residing in Hungary or countries of concurrent accreditation who seeks to renew his or her passport.
If you require this Letter from the Embassy, send your request for this letter well in advance. Please do not
wait until the last second to request for this letter. There have been
situations where students have either traveled from outside Budapest
without any prior notice to the Embassy or appeared at the last second
to obtain this letter. This only causes delays.
Please follow the steps enumerated below.
1. Send an email to the Embassy's email:
requesting for a Letter to enable you apply for a new passport in Vienna
or any other location of your choice. You will need to attach a scanned
copy of your passport and Hungarian residence permit. If it is a lost
passport case, please also include the Police Report you have obtained
from the Hungarian Police. If applying for an e-passport for your child, attach a copy of his/her birth certificate.
2. You will get an email from the
Embassy acknowledging it has received your email and documents. Please
note that the automated reply you receive after sending your email
should be disregarded. Wait for an email from the Embassy informing you
the Letter is ready. The process should not take more than three working
3. Once your letter is ready for collection, appear in
person or send some someone to collect it on your behalf. The document
collection hours are Monday-Friday 10am-12noon, 2pm-4pm. Please note
that the original copy of the letter needs to be submitted at the
Embassy in Vienna.
The letter is issued FREE OR CHARGE.
WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU MISPLACE YOUR E-PASSPORT
a Police Report from the relevant Police Authority where the e-passport got lost
the loss of your e-passport to the Hungarian Immigration Office
3. Submit a written formal report to the Nigeria Embassy concerning the lost e-passport.
A copy of the Police Report, resident permit and lost passport should be
appropriate plans to replace the lost passport by contacting relevant Nigerian
Embassies that can replace the lost passport. The general rule is that Nigerians who lose their e-passports are required to travel back to Abuja, Nigeria to obtain a new passport. However, the Nigerian Embassies in Vienna, Rome, Italy and the Hague, Netherlands have confirmed that it can replace lost e-passports. For more information about what documents to submit, relevant passport fees and interview dates, please contact the relevant Embassy directly.
5. After getting required information from the issuing Embassy, apply for the e-passport through the Nigeria Immigration website https://portal.immigration.gov.ng/passport/epassport. Applicants for the e-passports are advised to read through the e-passport application guidelines before applying to avoid any delays or rejection of their application. You are to make a payment of 65US Dollars using your Bank card and indicate the country which will issue the e-passport. For example, if you are applying to the Nigerian Embassy in Rome, you should indicate Rome, Italy as the processing country when filling the form online. Please note that
the Embassy processing your passport request will also charge an administrative fee. The price varies from Embassy to Embassy.
letter of introduction will be issued by the Ngerian Embassy in Budapest to assist you obtain the new e- passport. The original copy of this letter should be presented directly TO THE Nigerian Embassy where you are applying for the e-passport.
7. Appear at the choosen Nigerian Embassy on the date given to you. Please ensure you take along with you all the relevant documents needed for the new e-passport. You should ask for required information from the Nigerian Embassy issuing the new e-passport before travelling to avoid any delays.
8. During the processing of the passport, please ensure that your personal information collected by the passport officer is correct. During the collection of the passport , also ensure that your personal details appear as it should be on the new passport. If there is any mistake, notify the passport officer immediately for rectification before you leave the Embassy or Immigration office.